Volunteer Police Cadet Program
What is the Volunteer Police Cadet Program?
The Volunteer Police Cadet Program assists youth in gaining insight into a variety of programs that offer hands-on career activities, which benefit young men and women who are interested in a career in law enforcement. As a Police Cadet, you will learn through hands-on experiences that promote the growth and development of adolescent youth. The Police Cadet program provides qualified men and women with a chance to experience the challenges and personal rewards of a police career.
What Does a Police Cadet Do?
- Attend monthly training meetings
- Provide traffic control at special events (parades, car show, et cetera)
- Assist other law enforcement agencies with special assignments
- Learn about forms and reports
What Will a Police Cadet Learn?
- Learn about the organization and functions of a police department
- Learn techniques for courteous interactions with the public
- Learn to work courteously with the general public by telephone and in-person
- Learn to communicate with citizens of diverse, social and ethnic backgrounds
- Learn, understand, and apply police department rules, regulations, instructions, laws, ordinances, policies, practices, and methods
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of a workday
The Police Cadet Program is open to young men and women who meet the following requirements:
- Must be between the ages of 14 and 21 years old
- Must be able to walk/stand for long periods of time
- Must not have a significant criminal history
- Must have good moral conduct
- Must have be ethical
- Must have an interest in law enforcement
- Submit an application
- Participate in an interview
- Background check
- Fingerprint check
How to Apply
Obtain an application by:
- Downloading our Cloverdale Employment Application (PDF)
- Contacting the Cloverdale Police at 707-894-2150 to have an application mailed to you
- Visit the Cloverdale Police Department in person at 112 Broad Street in Cloverdale and request an application
Questions? Email Sergeant Chris Parker.
Want more information?
Print or view the Volunteer Police Cadet Brochure (PDF).